Friday, October 24, 2014

Friday Baking - Coffee Butter Cookies

These have been one of my favorite cookies for about 30 years (or longer!).  They have a "sandy" texture and just melt in your mouth.  I love using all different flavors of instant powdered coffee when making these.  Like the Chocolate Meltaway Cookies I posted last Friday, these aren't good for shipping.  Enjoy!

COFFEE BUTTER COOKIES
(Yield: 2-1/2 dozen)

~ Sift together and set aside:

1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 Tablespoon instant powdered coffee (General Foods International Flavor coffees are perfect!)
1/8 teaspoon salt

~ Cream until softened:

1 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

~ Mixing until well blended after each addition, add dry ingredients in fourths to creamed mixture.
~ Chill in refrigerator about 1 hour.
~ Shape dough into balls about 1 inch in diameter. Place about 1-1/2 inches apart on cookie sheets. With lightly floured fork, slightly flatten cookies, forming a crisscross pattern.
~ Bake at 300 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

2 comments:

Lorita said...

what an interesting recipe! It sounds delicious, and I always have those flavored coffee mixes on hand, only they are made by Maxwell House now. One of these days when I have some ambition, I will have to give them a try.

Joanne said...

Lorita, the cookies are really delicious. My favorites are when I use the Cafe Vienna, because it adds that hint of cinnamon which is really good.