Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Christmas Thoughts - Holiday Pine Sachets


I've wanted to make these sachets for a few years, and maybe... just maybe... I'll get to them this fall. I have lots of holiday fabric that I think will be nice for this project, and I actually have a bag of pine needles which still smell wonderful (just not that soft, fresh feeling any longer).

These sachets would make nice stocking stuffers or package decorations. They can be used as ornaments, or as sachets in closets and drawers. You can also make several and place them in a pretty basket to be used as party favors.  


I think they're something you can really have fun making - doing them in the usual squares, or even using cookie cutters for some unique designs.  I think a Christmas tree or wreath shape would really be fun.  Here are the instructions:

For each sachet you will need:
2 squares of burlap or calico (5-1/2 inches square)
thread
3/4 cup fresh pine needles
pine oil (optional)
30 inch length of ribbon, 1 to 1-1/2 inches wide

 

-  With right sides facing, sew the burlap or calico squares together (use zigzag stitch for burlap), leaving 1 side open for turning. Seam allowance is 1/4 inch.
-  Clip the corners and turn right side out.
-  Fill the sachet with the pine needles and slipstitch the open edge. Sprinkle the sachet with the pine oil if you'd like a stronger scent.
-  Tie the ribbon in a bow around the sachet, Add a sprig of pine needles in the bow for decoration.

1 comment:

sharon t. said...

I think its a great idea. I love the smell of pine trees.